Headphones & Headsets
Any headphone, any measurement
SoundCheck offers simple, fast and accurate testing of any headphone – no matter what the form factor, functionality, connector or additional features. It measures a full range of driver parameters via traditional analog, Bluetooth, lightning or USB connections, as well as microphone performance, active noise cancellation and more.
Headphone and headset measurements include
- Frequency response
- Rub & Buzz
- Left/Right earphone tracking
- Maximum SPL to EN-50332
- Diffuse or Free-field corrected responses according to IEC 268-7 and IEC 581-10 or other target curves
- Active Noise Cancellation and passive attenuation
The SoundCheck System
SoundCheck’s modular combination of hardware and software is cost-effective, flexible and expandable.
At the heart of the system is the SoundCheck software. Powerful, fast and accurate, it measures every audio parameter from the R&D laboratory to the production line. Complete flexibility in stimulus choice enables any test signal (even music) to be used. Virtual instruments offer the functionality of stand-alone hardware on your laptop. Advanced analysis and powerful post-processing options allow all types of analysis and mathematical operations – for example, placing the stimulus on the device and using triggered recording to test headphones with proprietary connectors (e.g. lightning connector), or the application of any target curve to a headphone response. Display options range from comprehensive Microsoft Word or Excel reports to simple pass/fail output or writing to a database.
Repeatable, automated tests are quickly and easily created, modified and saved using the simple point-and-click interface. Several fully editable sample headphone sequences are provided, and more complex sequences are available for specific test standards such as IEC 60268-7 and EN-50332. The software also controls the audio measurement hardware – an audio interface, a microphone (or HATS, coupler etc.), and appropriate power supplies and amplifiers.
Headphone test result in SoundCheck showing frequency response, distortion and L/R tracking
Listen’s headphone test hardware includes:
AudioConnect™: A compact audio interface with built in headphone amplifier and a power supply for up to 2 SCM™ microphones. This is a very cost-effective approach for basic headphone testing.
AmpConnect™: Listen’s all-in-one hardware interface includes an audio interface, headphone amplifier, power for up to 2 SCM or IEPE microphones (for use with couplers or IEPE-powered HATS) and an amplifier to power a speaker for ANC tests.
SoundConnect 2™: A 2-channel microphone power supply (SCM, IEPE, 200V polarization) ideal for applications where polarization is required, or for switching between acoustic and impedance measurements with a 2 channel audio interface.
BTC-4148 and BQC-4148 Bluetooth Interfaces: Designed for R&D and production respectively, these interface a Bluetooth headphone to SoundCheck, offering full control over all Bluetooth protocol settings and explicit control over the CODEC choice and transmitter
Also available for more complex test requirements: MEMS interfaces, amplifiers, speakers, current monitors, 3rd party hardware including Head and Torso Simulators (HATS), ear couplers, headphone test fixtures and more.
In the R&D lab, SoundCheck is used with a head and torso simulator to measure a complete set of loudspeaker parameters such as frequency response, distortion, maximum SPL and diffuse or free field corrected responses. Powerful test options, with a large selection of stimuli, analysis and post-processing options, enable just about any measurement and analysis. A range of interfaces permit Bluetooth testing, open loop testing and more. Pre-written test sequences facilitate out of the box testing to standards such as EN-50322, IEC 60268-7 and others.
- Tests a wide variety of headphones – in addition to ordinary headphones, SoundCheck can be used to measure bluetooth headphones, noise cancelling headphones and more, as well as making Max SPL measurements to industry standards
- Unlimited test flexibility – although SoundCheck is pre-programmed with all common headphone tests, it is so flexible that any test that you can conceive can be implemented. Simple point and click sequence development enables complex tests to be developed with no need for programming.
- Virtual instruments – a virtual real time analyzer, multimeter, signal generator, spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope offer the same functionality within the SoundCheck software as their conventional hardware counterparts.
- Advanced stimulus, analysis, post-processing and even statistical options allow you to not only make all the measurements you need but also calculate any parameters arising from these without leaving the system.
- Sophisticated report writing functionality enables comprehensive reports to be automatically generated, ensuring consistency and saving time.
On the production line, SoundCheck is generally used with an ear coupler or custom test fixture to identify any drivers that are out of tolerance, or which contain manufacturing faults such as loose particles or Rub & Buzz. It can also be used for sorting and pairing drivers. It offers extremely fast testing, simple pass/failure (with optional failure mode) output, and full integration with footswitches, barcode readers and other production line automation. Testing headphones and headsets on the production line using SoundCheck results in better quality and higher yields, as faults are immediately identified, enabling production lines to be halted before too much product is wasted.
- Fast – a complete production test, including frequency response, Rub & Buzz (or perceptual Rub & Buzz), THD, Loose particles polarity and phase can be executed in just one second
- Accurate – unique test signals and measurement algorithms ensure that measurements are fast and accurate, even in noisy environments
- Results can be compared to pre-set limits or a reference standard
- Results can be presented as a simple audible or visual pass/fail indication, a detailed failure mode analysis, or automatically written to a database
- Simple, error-free operation – SoundCheck can be configured for one-click operation, and various levels of operator control prevent modification of the test sequence. A Chinese language option is also available
- SoundCheck fully integrates with automatic production lines and large-scale test systems. It interfaces with barcode systems, footswitches, and PLCs, and can be controlled via Test Stand or LabVIEW
Examples: How do our Customers use SoundCheck for Measuring Headphones and Headsets?
These are just some of the headphone and headset measurements that our customers are making:
- 100% Production Line QC of earbuds measuring frequency response, polarity and sensitivity, as well as rub and buzz detection
- R&D evaluation of the performance of active noise cancellation with battery drain
- Incoming QC on microphones and drivers to be embedded in headset
More information? See the right sidebar to view detailed information about relevant test sequences, white papers, webinars and more about headphone and headset testing.