Smartphones & Tablets
SoundCheck is a complete system for testing and measuring Smartphones and Tablets from the R&D lab to the production line. It measures all audio parameters for the speakers and microphones in the finished devices, as well as measuring sound quality to TIA standards.
SoundCheck can measure all the audio in a smartphone or tablet, both in terms of measuring the speakers and microphones before they are incorporated into the product, AND for testing the complete finished product. Here we will focus on measuring the complete product; please see the pages on loudspeaker / microspeaker and microphone testing for more about how to test these components as part of an incoming QC program.
Measuring the audio on a finished smartphone or tablet can be challenging as their inputs and outputs of the speakers and microphones are buried in electronics and not easily accessible. However, SoundCheck can make transducer measurements on such devices provided that you can get the audio test signal file onto your device, for example by embedding it into the device software for recall as part of the test, or simply recording it via the device’s microphone. This avoids the need for expensive cell station simulators, hugely reducing the cost of your test system. In addition, with SoundCheck’s sequence editor making production line testing easy and repeatable, and a wide variety of test signals within SoundCheck, it is possible to carry out extremely fast production line testing of cellphones and tablets. As well as standard loudspeaker and microphone tests such as frequency response, distortion, sensitivity, polarity, rub and buzz, etc., SoundCheck also measures to telephone test standards such as TIA-810 and TIA-920, enabling all the audio on your cellphone to be tested.
The main difference between testing smartphone/tablet audio and normal loudspeakers and microphones is that conventionally, you have an uninterrupted signal path from output to input, but in smartphone/tablet testing the inputs and outputs are not directly connected – this is known as open loop testing. To further complicate matters, the input and output may be in different domains (e.g. analog output and digital input), the input and output are asynchronous (different sample rates), and there is often a variable delay between input and output.
While this sounds daunting, it is not a problem in SoundCheck. Signal path calibration overcomes the input and output being in different domains. Re-sampling and frequency shift post-processing options compensate for different sample rates and phases, and finally, the auto-delay analysis option compensates for a variable delay between input and output.
In short, any test that SoundCheck can carry out on a stand-alone loudspeaker or microphone can be made on a closed loop, playback only, or record only device such as a smartphone, tablet, network audio device, digital voice recorder and more.
Smartphone & Tablet Measurements
Speaker characteristics including:
- 1/1, 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, and 1/24 octave analysis
- Frequency Response
- Directivity (including polar plots)
- Sound Pressure Level
- Power rating tests
- Simulated free field measurements
- Thiele-Small parameters
- curve fitting to determine resonances
- arithmetic operations, curve smoothing, and statistical functions
- Time Frequency Analysis
- Rub & Buzz distortion and Perceptual Rub & Buzz distortion
- Loose Particles
- Frequency response
- Comparison to reference standard
Telephone Measurements including:
Microphone characteristics including:
- Frequency response
- Self-noise and signal-to-noise
- IM Distortion
- Simulated free-field response
- Directional characteristics (polar plot)
- Impulse response
- Max SPL
SoundCheck is the ideal tool for R&D smartphone and tablet testing because it is able to test every aspect of the finished device, from the loudspeaker and microphones to industry-standard telephone tests. Features include:
- Unlimited test flexibility – although SoundCheck is pre-programmed with all common loudspeaker and microphone tests, it is so flexible that any test that you can conceive can be implemented. Simple point and click sequence development enables complex tests to be developed with no need for programming.
- Built in functionality within SoundCheck for signal path calibration, sampling rate differences, frequency shift and variable delay between output and input simplifies test set-up
- Pre-written TIA test sequences available for purchase
- Virtual instruments – a virtual real time analyzer, multimeter, signal generator, spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope offer the same functionality within the SoundCheck software as their conventional hardware counterparts.
- Advanced stimulus, analysis, post-processing and even statistical options allow you to not only make all the measurements you need but also calculate any parameters arising from these without leaving the system.
- Sophisticated report writing functionality enables comprehensive reports to be automatically generated, ensuring consistency and saving time.
- SoundCheck is simple to calibrate, and measures to all relevant industry standards
- MEMs interface for testing MEMS microphones available
Testing smartphones and tablets on the production line using SoundCheck is fast and simple, and minimizes product returns due to audio quality issues. SoundCheck is ideal for production line measurements of smartphones and tablets as it is fast, easy to operate and can test both the speakers and the microphones.
- Fast – a wide variety of test signals means that tests can be carried out faster than with other systems
- Sophisticated algorithms automatically take in to account differences in the input and output domains, different sample rates and phases, and variable delays between input and output.
- Accurate – unique test signals and measurement algorithms ensure that measurements are fast and accurate, even in noisy environments
- Results can be compared to pre-set limits or a reference standard
- Results can be presented as a simple audible or visual pass/fail indication, a detailed failure mode analysis, or automatically written to a database
- Simple, error-free operation – SoundCheck can be configured for one-click operation, and various levels of operator control prevent modification of the test sequence. A Chinese language option is also available
- SoundCheck fully integrates with automatic production lines and large-scale test systems. It interfaces with barcode systems, footswitches, and PLCs, and can be controlled via Test Stand or LabVIEW
- Listen also offers smartphone and tablet test chambers for use with SoundCheck
Examples: How do our Customers use SoundCheck for Measuring Smartphones and Tablets?
These are just some of the loudspeaker measurements that our customers are making:
- R&D testing of EVERY aspect of a smartphone including speaker, microphone, MP3 player, telephone to TIA standards and even headphone outlet
- Production line testing of smartphone speakers to ensure product quality
- Incoming QC of microspeakers and microphones before they are assembled into smartphones and tablets
More information? See the right sidebar to view detailed information about relevant test sequences, white papers, webinars and more about smartphone and tablet testing.