Measuring SPL of Portable Audio Devices (e.g. MP3 Players) to EN 50332-1
For portable music players and the earphones/headphones they are bundled with.
This sequence follows the test standard detailed in EN50332-1 (2013) for measuring the maximum sound pressure for portable music players and the earphones/headphones they are bundled with. The test involves loading a weighted pink noise stimulus file (as specified by IEC 268) onto the portable device and playing it through the earphones at the player’s maximum volume. The earphones are positioned on a head and torso simulator (HATS). The signal from each ear is recorded, and a 1/3rd octave curve is analyzed. An A weighting is applied to the curves, as well as a free field correction for the HATS. The values between 20 Hz and 20 kHz are summed, and the A weighted equivalent sound pressure level is stated.
The sequence runs 5 separate trials. In between each trial the headphones must be removed and placed on the HATS once again. This is done to average out any variability that may be due to the fit and sealing of the device under test. The results from each trial are averaged to calculate the final LAeq values.
Note: This set of sequences is an update which covers the 2013 revision of the standard. Significant changes include the removal of limits from all sequences (in accordance with the standard) and the addition of digital device testing. For further details please see the standard itself.
- Head and Torso Simulator (with Free Field correction curves)
- B&K 4231 calibrator
- 2 x SoundConnect Microphone power supply Part # 4020 or equivalent (or 2-channel microphone power supply such as SoundConnect 2, part # 4026)
- SoundCheck 13.0 or later Advanced Package part # 1103 or
- SoundCheck 13.0 or later Advanced Package part # 1102 Plus RTA Module part # 2005
Setup & Calibration
- Load the file IEC 268_1 pink.mp3 or IEC 268_1 pink.wav onto your portable music player and set the device to maximum volume.
- Connect the HATS microphone outputs to the preamplifiers, and connect the preamplifier outputs to inputs 1 and 2 on the soundcard.
- Calibrate the HATS ears as per the instruction in the SoundCheck manual. .
- Open the free field correction curves for your HATS into the memory list. Save the two curves into the single file HATS FF Correction Curves.dat located in the sequence folder. Overwrite the existing file..
- Connect the earphones/headphones to the player, and fixture them on the HATS according to the manufacturer’s fitment instructions.
You are ready to start the sequence.
View our recorded webinar on the use of this sequence.
Please contact our Listen sales engineer or representative for further information and pricing on this sequence.