TIA-5050: Receive Volume Control Requirements for Wireless (Mobile) Devices
Complete sequences for testing narrowband and wideband wireless handset telephones to TIA-5050.
TIA 5050 is a US standard with measurement methods and requirements for the receive volume control performance of both narrowband (NB) and wideband (WB) mobile handset phones. The measurements include conversational gain, frequency response, and distortion. Measurements are made at both 2N and 8N handset application forces, with different requirements applied to each. Either Free Field (FF) or Diffuse Field (DF) can be chosen as the Listener Reference Point (LRP) for receive frequency response.
This module is a structured set of sequences and subsequences which perform all the measurements. Curves and values are shown on the screen, and tolerance checks are performed. Data is saved to a pre-formatted Excel test report that includes all measurements on any one device. Completely prompted sequences for calibration of the HATS Right ear and the audio path of the Cellular Phone RF Air Interface are included. After a one-time setup with a sound card and other user-specific interfaces, the sequences are automatic. They run by simply selecting, pressing start, and following prompts where user interaction with the device under test is required. The sequence works with approved sound cards for connection to the transducers and Air Interface.
The performance requirements of the standard apply only to handset mobile phones, but the measurement methods may also be applicable to single headsets connected to a mobile phone. (Note: No measurements in the sending direction are included.)
These sequences are available for SoundCheck version 18.
- Head and Torso Simulator with right ear and handset positioner
- Listen AmpConnectISC (PN 4042 )or equivalent audio interface plus microphone power supply
- [Optional] SoundConnect (Part #4020 ) or SoundConnect 2 (Part # 4026 / 4026) Microphone Power Supply IF Head and Torso simulator us an older model without pre-polarized ears
- Acoustic calibrator
- Cellular Phone RF Air Interface which can establish a mobile call and pass audio to the device under test (receive or downlink) using compatible wireless parameters and audio codecs.
- SoundCheck 18 Plus (part #1102)* see note
- Realtime Analyzer (part #2005)
Note: there are various combinations of audio interface and microphone power supply that will work – ask your sales engineer for advice.
Setup and Calibration
Due to the complex nature of this sequence, please refer to the detailed instructions that are provided as part of the package.
Please contact your Listen sales engineer or representative to learn more about, or purchase this sequence.
Watch: Testing TIA-5050 with SoundCheck
Consultant in Electroacoustics John Bareham demonstrates this sequence. This demonstration is taken from our full Communications Testing Seminar.