Measuring Loudspeaker Maximum Linear Sound Levels Using Noise to the AES75-2022 Standard
The AES75-2022 standard details a procedure for measuring maximum linear sound levels of a loudspeaker system or driver using a test signal called M-Noise.
The AES75-2022 standard details a procedure for measuring maximum linear sound levels of a loudspeaker system or driver using a test signal called M-Noise. This is a complex procedure with many repetitive steps, which makes it time-consuming to implement manually. This sequence automates the entire process, accelerating test time, minimizing operator intervention, and ensuring accurate and objective test results.
The AES75-2022 standard is available for purchase here.
The M-Noise Stimulus is available from AES here. Please read the standard fully before implementing this test, and ensure that you adhere to the specific set-up requirements defined within it.
- SoundCheck 20 Plus or later
- p/n 2023 – Waveform Filter module
- p/n 2021 – Transfer Function module
- Audio Interface/Amplifier/Microphone power supply – Listen AmpConnect ISC (p/n 4042) or separate components
- Reference Microphone – Listen SCM-4 (p/n 4012) or similar
- DUT speaker or device
Hardware Setup and Calibration
- Calibrate the amplifier as instructed in the SoundCheck manual
- Calibrate the microphone as instructed in the SoundCheck manual
- Connect output 1 of your audio interface to the input of the amplifier
- Connect the output of the amplifier to your loudspeaker
- Connect input 1 to the microphone