Virtual instruments, included in SoundCheck, are a cost-effective and portable software-based alternative to hardware instrumentation, ideal for making quick measurements or viewing device behavior in real time. In this educational seminar, Les Quindipan walks through a demonstration of the virtual instruments in SoundCheck, showing off some of their lesser-known capabilities. These include the signal generator, multimeter, oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer, real time analyzer, frequency counter and distortion analyzer. The strip chart recorder, which expands the capability of these instruments to record measurements over a period of time, are also discussed.
Virtual Instrument testing demonstrations include:
- What are Virtual Instruments, and how to use them in SoundCheck
- How instruments use existing SoundCheck signal paths and calibrations
- Tour of individual instruments
- Using multiple instruments and saving Virtual Instrument Configuration Files (or .vic files)
- Explore using Virtual Instruments in a SoundCheck sequence
- Practical applications of SoundCheck Virtual Instruments
Presenters: Les Quindipan
Duration: 30 Mins
Virtual Instrument measurement resources
Check out our main page on SoundCheck Features and Functionality for more detail on all of SoundCheck’s audio test and measurement capabilities.
The Virtual Instrument example sequence included in the SoundCheck installation is a great starting point for working with virtual instruments. The sequence automatically performs measurements with various virtual instrument configurations with operator message details about each configuration. This sequence can be used as a template sequence to build a custom test sequence.